Phone: (604) 872-4901
Address : Lucky’s Doughnuts at 49th Parallel Café, 2902 Main Street, Vancouver, BC, V5T 3G3
Hours: Monday to Saturday 7:00am – 10:00pm, Sunday 8:00am – 9:00pm
Date of Visit: Jan. 4, 2013
Lucky’s Doughnuts is an artisan doughnut shop run by the proprietors of 49th Parrallel Coffee Roasters. I believe the doughnuts are all made on site. In addition to doughnuts, one would be able to grab a coffee made with their own unique blends or tea. A recommendation had me grabbing half a dozen of doughnuts here.
All the doughnut's were microwaved on high for ten seconds to warm and soften them up.
- Soft centre
- Chewy edges
- Bread-like texture
- Tart lemon custard filling
- Topped with a coat of sugar
- A bismark is a jelly, jam, or custard filled doughnut.
Apple Maple Bacon Fritter
- Topped with bits of real bacon
- Maple glazed
- Apple chunks within the fritter
Chocolate Old Fashioned
- Topped with chocolate ganache and chocolate flakes
- Tastes similar to a brownie
Lucky’s Chocolate Old Fashion doughnut tastes very similar to a chocolate brownie and leaves a bittersweet chocolaty aftertaste. The first bite reminded me of the taste of the brownie desert found in some frozen dinners.
The texture of this doughnut is very cakey and the edges are a bit crispy. While the doughnut wasn’t very dry on the initial bite, it tasted dry on the subsequent bites. Fortunately, the chocolate ganache was able to mitigate the dryness making it relatively moister than other chocolate doughnuts out there; however, Lucky’s Chocolate doughnut doesn’t offer much else.
Salted Caramel Old Fashioned
- Topped with caramel and Maldon sea salt
- Maldon sea salt is known for their large flakes and milder saltiness, so as to not overwhelm the taste buds and leaving a bitter aftertaste.
- Sour-cream based doughnut
- Sour cream based doughnut
- Vanilla Glaze